Sunday, July 27, 2008

REMINDER :Got to read this 4-5 years hence.

[ Following is the transcript of a dialogue I recently had with an online acquaintance of mine. The subject of the dialogue was - " greatness" and "should it be a necessary criterion in liking someone ? "

The reason I am posting it here is that the person with whom I had that dialogue had asked me to
Not delete my replies to his queries. Instead, save them somewhere and read them 4-5 years hence. The idea appealed to my senses so I decided to entertain it. Now, what better a place to preserve a dialogue for eternity than this virtual space. After all, hard discs aren't so reliable these days and the traditional medium i.e " paper " doesn't seem that durable an option to keep such dialogues intact for such a long period as say, 5 years. Posting it as a blog entry on my blog seemed to me to be the best available option. So here's the dialogue as it happened..]



TH*-Glad to see you here,Mr.Eastwood** :)

( *TH- The Highlander= Profile name of the person I had the dialogue with. )

( **I had the picture of Clint Eastwood as my display pic. on my profile at that time. )

SS*-Same here, Monsieure Iconoclast** :)
* Doffs the Hat *

( *SS- Sudeept Shrivastav= Your's truly. )
( **Iconoclast is the "handle" The Highlander uses on Orkut. )

TH- So you like Chankakya ? What is so great about him ?

SS- You mean Chanakya ? Well, I do like Chanakya-The tele-serial. I have the entire serial in DVD format. It was one of the best historical tele-series I've ever watched on small screen. Very well directed technically,as per the existing technical standards in those days. Equally well acted. An honest and sincere attempt on the director Dr.Chandra Prakash Dwivedi's part.

As for Chanakya- The person..Well, not too sure if I actually "like" him in that sense but yeah I do find him pretty interesting and fascinating. As far as his "greatness" is concerned, history establishes him as THE finest prime minister any Indian King ever had, besides being the second finest politician & KINGMAKER in the entire history of India after Shri Krishna ( of course, assuming he actually existed & Mahabharatha actually took place. )

I personally consider him as a good teacher, a knowledgeable economist, an able administrator, a ruthless politician and above all -A foresighted visionary.

Having said that, L'emme make it clear that I don't endorse all his views. Particularly his Neetis regarding women.

On another note though, Is "Greatness" a necessary criterion for one to like someone ?
The way I see it, it isn't.

In any case, I don't like a person because he is great. It's actually the other way round i.e. He is great because I like him ;-)

TH- If "Greatness" ( in one sense or the other, to some degree or the other ) isn't a criteria to like someone for you, then what is?


SS-First things first- Pray pardon me for being so late with my replies. I am a l'il busy with some work these days and hence haven't been able to be online as much as I would have liked to.

Coming to your question, I beg to disagree with the way you structured your question-

-"If "Greatness"(in one sense or the other, to some degree or the other) isn't a criteria to like someone for you, then what is?"-

Sorry but you can't just put it as nonchalantly as that ( re:portion in bold ). The whole cache, the whole point of - Greatness not being a necessary criteria to like someone for me - lies in the "sense" of it only.
Greatness is a subjective term. It depends upon how an individual defines "Great". What looks great to me might not look so to you. And viceversa. For instance, my Ma could be the greatest cook in the world in MY eyes but that doesn't mean the world, too, should agree with MY view regarding her culinary skills.

So..what's the point of talking in terms of something as subjective as greatness ??

When I used the term "greatness" in my previous scrap, I obviously meant it in the popular sense of the term OR, in other words- as the world in general defines "greatness". And it's this popular sense of the term greatness which I don't consider important enough to deem it as THE criterion for me for liking someone.

And frankly speaking, I don't have very lofty standards when it comes to likes and dislikes. There's absolutely no need for anyone to be "great" ( in the popular sense of the word ) in order to be liked by me. Just being "good" will do. I can certainly manage with just a l'il goodness only.


I hope I've made myself clear THIS time round :)

TH- Don't delete these scraps that you wrote to me. Save them somewhere and read them 4-5 years hence.

SS- Done.

5 comments:

shweta chaudhary said...

but this discussion regarding the greatness & being liked by, as i m seeing it ( might be again subjective)is not leading to any idea and frankly speaking that even the significance of reading it 4-5 years down the lane also not very clear....i would appreciate if i m enlightened more on this...LEARN MORE!!!
thanks

The Badguy said...

You are right on this discussion not leading to anywhere. It's not supposed to. It's just a chat which I had with someone on a social networking site. It being a discussion, the views are bound to be subjective. It's only on the insistence of going through this dialogue 4-5 years down the line by that someone that I thought of recording it here in my blog. That's it.

Even I am not sure what he must've meant by that request. Will've to wait for 4-5 years to find that out, though I doubt if there 'd be any change in my stance regarding"greatness" and "likeability" even after 4-5 years. But who knows..
Let's see..

Divya Singh said...

Im fairly new on the blogging circuit and this is the first time I've ventured outside my profile.
I've always liked reading stuff that makes me think, shakes my soul. This most definitely did. (Never mind, what and where this dialogue may lead) Interesting.

The Badguy said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Divya.

Oh and by the way, I, too, happen to be fairly new to this fascinating medium. So, that makes us fellow travelers :)

The Highlander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.